We are a human-first, value driven business. These values serve as a framework for how decisions are made at Ardent Market— the foundation for building business practices, customer relationships, and buying guidelines within the retail industry.
We want you to be fully aware of the values and intentions of Ardent Market as we pledge to drive more impact in our personal lives and business practices.
WE ARE COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY + EQUITY + INCLUSION
We do not just stand in solidarity with BIPOC communities. We stand for actionable change, especially in the small business scope. Because we take our community very seriously— We take humanity seriously.
In this first year together, we put in a lot of work to making space on the internet, but now we are finding sustainable ways to hold that space for BIPOC artists, creators, customers, vendors, creatives. Because being a part of our community means collectively sharing art, craftsmanship, work, well-being, and stories.
We have some immediate and long-term strategies to navigate through, but this is how we have taken some action steps:
- We are participating in a pledge to continue monthly donations for BIPOC causes and foundations.
- Thanks to the initiative of the Fifteen Percent Pledge, we will dedicate at least 15% of our virtual shelves to Black-owned businesses/goods.
- We will also invest 30% of our inventory, business operations budget, and training, to diversity and inclusion, in solidarity with BIPOC, LGTBQ+, and Minority-owned businesses.
- The copy used on the website and newsletter will be carefully edited in non-gender language and inclusive format. We will continue to ask for pronouns.
- We will further our education and connection with books, articles, and films. Our dialogue with other small business owners includes anti-racism study groups with paid workshop materials from activism educators.
- The most important part of this pledge is that we remain accountable to you, our community, and our promises to be an inclusive and holistic retail/small business. As we restructure our community efforts and social contracts, we will release reports on our progress each quarter. Because actionable, measurable change is how our communities can feel our support.
You know how ardently we care about our artists and customers. We are here to celebrate the things that make life unique and joyful. With our many blessings comes an eagerness to share and support others. It is our dearest wish to both celebrate and show gratitude for the shop, but also use the resources and funds available to us to help our communities- both local and national. We are so humbled by the efforts of The Los Angeles House of Ruth. We will begin donations this quarter.
The House of Ruth offers a safe and secure haven for homeless families, many of whom are homeless due to domestic violence. 5,000+ women and children were provided shelter thanks to those who support the Los Angeles House of Ruth. In the fiscal year 2018-2019, LAHR offered permanent housing for 36 families and emergency goods and clothing to 90 families, as well as referrals for emergency services to over 500 individuals. They offer a Transitional Shelter Program, Permanent House Placement, and Emergency Shelter Services.
Proceeds of purchases made at Ardent Market are donated directly for the incredible work this foundation is doing. If you feel inspired, please sign up for their newsletter to see what their next mission is and how you can help.
We couldn't provide this aid to these humans without you, and we are so grateful for every purchase. You not only support our dream, and the many artists that we carry, but also the many women and children in need of care and kindness.
We look forward to partnering with more foundations and causes in the future. We care so deeply for people and their safety, the environment, and local community needs. Be sure to look for any updates in our newsletters for what cause we are participating in next.
Thank you for all that you do.